Saturday, July 9, 2011

Interview: Chris Jensen


In my first post, I outlined the recurring features of this blog.  Well, I now add another; interviews!  From time to time I will have a chat with friends, musicians, and persons of note.  My first interview is with good friend, songwriter, and occasional dabbler in unconventional cover songs, Chris Jensen.


Justin Stoleson: Mr. Jensen, it is an honor.
Chris Jensen: Please, Justin.  The honor is mine.
JS: You flatter me.  Now, I understand you just finished recording a new song.  It is about some sort of love gone wrong, is it not?
CJ: I think so. I mean, it's originally a Lady Gaga song that I just kind of rearranged. There's a lot of controversy around it right now because of lines like "Jesus is my virtue / Judas is the demon I cling to."
JS: Why the controversial choice?
CJ: A lot of people take her too literally.  I don't necessarily agree with Gaga's philosophies or whatever, but I don't think she's talking about Judas Iscariot at all.  It's about always falling for the wrong people, then still having feelings for them after they hurt you.  That's what I get from it anyway.  I did change a lot of her lyrics, though.
JS: Now, there's a lyric about love resembling a brick...
CJ: Ah, yes.  I even set that as my Skype status thing.
JS: It would take many bricks to build a house, and likely more than one to sink a body.  Can this song be taken as a promotion of polygamy?
CJ: Off the record?  Definitely.  I have a private ranch out in Utah with some of my friends.  I'm not saying we're polygamists, but you know... Anything could happen.
JS: Of course.  Well...  You've developed a penchant for songs with emotional depth and unique lyrics.
CJ: I have a penchant for discovering hidden depth in seemingly vapid pop songs.  One of my favorite cover songs to play is T.I.'s "Whatever You Like."  I sing it as a heartfelt ballad over the piano line from Coldplay's "The Scientist."
JS: You were previously in a band called Spero.  What, for you, is the biggest difference between working with a group and working alone?
CJ: I feel like I have more freedom working alone, but better range of expression in a group.  Working in a group is hard, though.  Arranging practice times that work in everyone's schedule, especially.
JS: Which do you prefer?
CJ: I think I get more gratification from playing with a band.  I become a part of something, you know?  It's a community effort.
JS: Yeah, I totally understand that.  So then, are we going to see a Spero reunion?
CJ: We got third place in last year's battle of the bands.  I'd like to see if we can repeat that or try for something better.
JS: Some would say you recall earnest singer-songwriters like Scott McKenzie or Simon and Garfunkel.  Who or what would you say has been the main inspiration for your music?
CJ: [Laughs] Wow.  I once said that my two biggest influences are Colin Meloy (of The Decemberists) and Conor Oberst (of Bright Eyes).  I'm not as witty as [Meloy], and I'm not as depressed as [Oberst], but I"m probably as witty as [Oberst] and as depressed as [Meloy].
JS: Did you always picture yourself doing this sort of thing?
CJ: Yes.  By all accounts, I've been wanting to cover Lady Gaga since I was a small child.  My parents tell me my first words were "Mamamama..."  I take it that I was predicting what would become the iconic hit "Poker Face."
JS: [Laughs]
CJ: In all seriousness, though, not at all.  I like being silly by making stupid songs sound serious.  It's amusing for me, but I often begin to consider the songs in question more legitimate than they really are.
JS: Tell us about your upcoming projects.  What can we expect from you in the future?
CJ: Well, I've been working on some new material recently.  One of them is, I think, the best thing I've ever written.  If all goes according to plan, I should have a ten(ish) song collection of demo recordings by the end of the summer.  This is the third summer in a row that I've said such a thing, however.  2009's edition was 80% complete when I abandoned it, though.  Expect to see some of those songs resurfacing.
Also, check out some of my old, old stuff at http://www.myspace.com/inkspillrecords!

Well, that's it for today!  Be sure to check out The Point Board I added as a seperate page to keep track of everyone's point totals.  It also elaborates on the rules, which you may want to be familiar with before posting any comments.  I may be in Wisconsin the next time I post something, so that'll be fun.

*UPDATE*
I nearly forgot to add today's Wikipage of the Day!  We're in the midst of a pretty hot July, so here's a refreshing article about The Year Without a Summer:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_Without_a_Summer

Quiz Time!  +3 Points max.
Why am I going to Wisconsin?  I may accept more than one answer for this.  Multiple answers from a single person will count as one answer.

8 comments:

  1. To eat cheese with fruit on your head!

    ReplyDelete
  2. To watch a Fry Chef Wench have the fairy-tale wedding she has always deserved!

    ReplyDelete
  3. To eat cheese? Yes. Copious cheese. With fruit on my head? Perhaps.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nikki Franks is marrying a Mr. Jon Boyd. You like potatoes.
    Boil them. Mash them. Stick em in a stew. Oh wait that's Idaho. You like cheese.
    You feel that by eating cheese, you are ruling your own cheese filled universe.
    Do bring me some cheese old chap.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, yes, quite right. You receive cheese, and also an effort point.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hahahahahahaha I like jordans amswer!!!

    You are coming to Wisconsin to ush numerous people that you do not know @ the wedding of the fry chef wench.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I announce that I have returned with cheese.

    Nikki, you get points, as I indeed ushed many strangers all through the evening.

    ReplyDelete