Wednesday, July 27, 2011

"I Like Beer, I Like Cheese, O Wisconsin!"

Well, it's the third official post and I've already violated the terms of this blog.  What can I say?  I'll try to make sure it doesn't happen again, folks!  If only I'd known what turmoil it would cause among you!

Since the last post I have gone to and returned from Wisconsin.  I tried to update then, but there was far too much cheese to sample and not enough time for reflection.  I hope you can understand.

Racine was neat.  The sky was as expansive as the miles of farming fields.  I got to meet the family Franks and spend time with old friends Nikki and Ambur as well as make new friends like Kelly, Andy, and Jon, the gentlemanly groom.  I learned that Leinenkugel brews good beer, Culver's is a national treasure, and Milwaukee is about to be engulfed by the incredibly huge Chicago metro-region which now stretches over three states.

While standing on a seawall, I learned another thing; Lake Michigan is a beast of a lake.  Its waves churned hungrily, arching up like talons to snatch me from the ledge into the jagged maw of its saltless depths.  The smell of rot and death hung heavily over the murky green waters which stretched past the horizon, broken only by algae-covered rocks and seabird corpses.  One such corpse caught my reflection in its eye, beak frozen in terror as if to warn me of its mistake.  I clung to the rebar-strewn concrete stockpile for support, but neither the clouds of mosquitos nor the suspicious-looking tent at the end of the walkway could console me.  I heaved a sigh in resignation that the fear and trembling in my heart would be realized with the flow of the fetid tide.

It was by providence that Nikki and Kelly were there, who knew how best to navigate the seawall.  If that sketchy tent weren't in the way we could have checked out the lighthouse, but I digress.

It's a strange thing, seeing a friend get married.  Does that have to do with realizing you're suddenly in the age bracket where people start having weddings, or is it always like that?  The format of life changes so markedly in the time between walking up the aisle and coming back down.  And that's just me, let alone how it must change for the bride and groom.

Okay, enough of that.  Either way, the wedding was lovely, and I am honored that I was a part of it.  Mr. and Mrs. Boyd, I wish you all joy and happiness.  Within reason.

In other news, I am searching for employment with all the dilligence of one who is reluctant but nevertheless sees its necessity.  Tomorrow I have an interview at a hip, new restaurant-tavern thing.  More details to ensue if it goes well.

I think that's it for today's post.  I've got some artworks that I'm almost ready to show, so if I can be bothered with the steps it takes to put them online maybe they'll end up here next time.


Link of the Day:
Today I have two links for you, and one of them isn't a Wikipedia page.  That requirement is too narrow anyway, so forget that I made it.

If you're looking for an interesting and fun-filled blog by someone you might not know, check out my friend Jordon Kalilich's critically acclaimed blog at theworldofstuff.com.  He has been blogging consistently since middle school, which is truly incredible.  And he's a funny guy.  Honest!  Though perhaps a more proper term would be snarky.

The bit about Chicago devouring the southern bank of Lake Michigan is only a slight exaggeration.  The term for cities that have experienced this phenomenon is Megalopolis.  I post the link to this article more because 'megalopolis' is a cool word than anything else, though there are some among you who may find it interesting.

Quiz Time! +5 Points max.
What is a more appropriate title for this blog entry?  This is an open-ended question with the most points going to titles I like.  Please no mockery; I don't take to it very well.  Just kidding.  But seriously.

10 comments:

  1. Bird Corpses, Hungry Lakes, and Wedding Cakes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Confections of the Dead: What Lake Michigan is Baking Up for Milwaukee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ewww Chris! Lol

    Your title should be something so completely off topic....and I think you should do this in the future so that people are constantly trying to figure out your "artistic mind"

    Like : three turtledoves and the partridge family

    In other news I am exceedingly happy that I got to see you after all this time & that you had a good/frightening time @ lake michigan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Obviously, the only acceptable replacement title is "I Like Beer, I Like Cheese, O Wisconsin!"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Justin doesn't like beer, he likes cider. I asked my English friend who drinks cider and she said "Mostly girls and poofs."

    ReplyDelete
  6. I ordered cider at a bar one time, and the bartender had to think if they even carried it. Not too popular in the States, I don't think.

    A nice lambic is always good, though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My boyfriend tells me I'm conceited because I only like amber beers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. David, your website links are always exceptional.

    Also, I now like some beer. I think I like weiss beer. Also, I had a Palm ale a few days ago that was pretty good. I admit I was tempted to get a cider, but I knew David would disapprove. There was lambic, too, but it wasn't on tap.

    Also, points!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dave, I like the way those syllables flow cheerfully, and Chris, that is hilariously terrible, but Ambur wins this round, as that was the theme song for the whole trip. AM, I'll probably take up that suggestion in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lambics are never on tap. I'm pretty sure they're bottle-exclusive by nature as they're made from wild Belgian yeast. Therefore, every batch is a bit different.

    And amber beers are the tastiest in my experience, but I'm sure if there were chris/kris/xpisto beers, I would probably like them simply for that fact.

    ReplyDelete