Monday, July 4, 2011

It Begins with A Single Step...

You may not realize it, but this is a pivotal moment.  Yes, you, the reader, if you are there, may very well be bearing witness to a new age; one where I can approach a journal with any sort of consistency.

In the half-dozen times I have started a blog or journal, prompted or otherwise, all dried up after about a half-dozen posts.  This likely has something to do with the fact that I possess neither the training nor the inclination for thought-sharing, soul-bearing bloggery.  But this time is different... perhaps?

The fact is, I've been thinking (something I do too much) and have reached one or two conclusions:

1. My way of life needs modifying.  I need more consistency.  This is as good a place as any to start.

2. The only way to become a better writer is to write.

3. I am more at ease writing in a community setting.  The one journaling attempt I wrote more than six entries for was a shared, beat-up notebook-type thing with my best friend.  The content spanned seven years and ranged from poetry to short stories to sarcastic reflection.  It was formative.  It was freeing.  It was destroyed recently in a freak cooling fluid accident, never to be read again.  I figure that blogging amongst friends will recall the ease of writing in that notebook, minus the danger posed by... fluids.

4. A blog is useful as a creative outlet and a means to share artistic material.

Now then, lets discuss the contents of this thing.  Besides the standard blog fare, I plan to post my artings here (which I guess is also standard blog fare).  From time to time, I will also use this space for my philosophical musings, which will be of a highly trivial nature.  The practical-minded among you, ye be warned.  I may also post my song musings, if technically possible.

Those of you who have yet to be deterred and are still reading this, rejoice!  This blog will be an interactive one.  Amongst the regular features will be:

Interesting Wikipage of the Day
I am a Wikipedia addict.  If there is one thing I do more than excessive thinking, it is excessive Wikipedia reading.  Shameful, but true, and at this point nothing can be done about it.  As a consequence, I am compelled to share what I find with you.  I can't vouch for their factual accuracy, but I can vouch for their interestingness.

Music Reviews
If there's another thing I do more than excessive thinking, it is excessive music-listening.  I will share my priggish thoughts on what I hear with you.  If you think there is something I should be listening to, feel free to inform me!

Ask Justin
For some reason, 'About Me' sections have always troubled me.  They are intimidating things.  I am much more comfortable answering specific questions.  Ask anything about anything!  Favorite things, opinions on world events, preference in toothpaste brands... whatever!  Just post the questions in the comment section.  When there's a good amount, I'll answer them.  Don't try any preversions, though.

Quiz For All the Points
I will ask you questions, and if you answer them correctly, you get points!  Once you've aquired a predetermined amount, you win a prize*!

*Prize to be determined

Anywho, I guess that's it.  Will this truly be the journey of a thousand miles?  No one can tell.  I plan on making a post a week.  If I get behind, you have my permission to chastize me about it.  Remember, this is a cooperative effort!  Let's see how long this lasts...

Quiz Time! + 5 Points
Throughout this first post, what movie have I half-intentionally been referencing?

13 comments:

  1. I highly approve of this model and sincerely look forward to additional posts. I regret that I do not recognize the film reference, but am very much excited about the opportunity to earn points! Additionally, I am overjoyed that this particular journal will be protected from fluid mishaps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have music for you to review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will review this material in my next post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of the first episodes of Xaiolin Showdown was called a journey of a thousand miles. Both Confuscious and Lao Tzu said it. But ima go with the hobbit. Also I demand 1,000 points and my birthday present.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will give you 1,000 millipoints for your commendable efforts and your choice of a movie that has yet to be released. And you will have your birthday present at dawn on the fifth day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wanna guess!!!! Oh why won't you let me guess??

    ReplyDelete
  7. Because you have an unfair advantage. :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. If no one guesses it by the end of the week, can I then?

    ReplyDelete
  9. How big do the backpacks of society really need to be if they're carrying the sands of time in them?

    ReplyDelete
  10. As wide as the beaches of existence.

    And you can go ahead and guess.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dr. Strangelove or How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love The Bomb

    ReplyDelete